23 February 2007

International Court

The Nigerian Embassy is tucked away on International Court in far, far NW DC -- that would be, as I found out yesterday, about 2 hours up Connecticut Avenue for those doing the rush-hour dash. It's very simple beside sprawling Malaysia and the sign-happy United Arab Emirates, clean modern lines and glass.

Through iron gates, glass doors, and a metal detector, one ID lighter, I found my way across the black granite squares of the lobby of the embassy to the receptionist, who set me on my way to the visa desk, and so on.

After visiting the embassy, I spent the day doing assorted travel errands (did you know that shoe polish and laptop chargers are at a premium in Abuja?) and catching up research. I found an international cell phone provider and will now be able to make (business) calls while in Abuja for a reasonable 2.85/min.

Finally at 9 pm, my last Washington-based tasks done, I began the drive home to Durham. Thanks to unleaded gas, vanilla sugar wafers, and Diet Coke, Thelma, my car, and I made it home safely by 1 am.

Today my father and I ran a few errands looking for reasonable long-sleeved apparel (Fun idea: go shopping for purdah friendly clothing with your father -- he'll definitely approve.) We also got him a headset so my parents can Skype me while I'm away to calm their paternal instincts.

My father: "This works how?"
Me: "You plug it into the computer."
My father: "The computer?"
Me: "Yep. Just plug it in, like headphones and a microphone."
My father: "But what do you install?"
Me: "Plug it in. I'll set it up. You just open Skype."
My father: "Skype?"

I'm now just packing and getting ready to leave on Saturday. Will need one suitcase for clothes and work and a second for the small but potent pharmacy my mother has assembled for me. For tomorrow: schedule a shuttle to the airport, get emergency medical evacuation insurance, and make sure I have everything the guys over there need.

1 comment:

Pelusa said...

Hey, we are educable. Skype is up and ready, thank you very much. Hmmmph.

A series of largely unconnected thoughts and experiences for family and friends to follow as they see fit.